Sunday, September 28, 2014

Retrograde to Romance

Today I had a compelling thought. 
I was watching The Time Traveler's  Wife, and as usual when I watch any love-story film, I was completely immersed. I'm constantly influenced and impacted by love of all kinds; fictitious, real, old, new, unexpected, but most of all, grand. And as I shifted from a beautiful scene to my reality- sending a text in bed- I felt very odd. The idea that I could just send a message with words as boring as "idk the one you wore during Thanksgiving", just seemed awfully wrong to me. 
My mind couldn't grasp how such a banal text could exist in the same world as this intricate whirlwind of love on my screen. 

Now I fully understand that to some, movies are movies. They are sugary cotton candy and none of it will ever be real. 
I also fully understand the gap in generations and society and the huge leap technology has made for humans and I do not condemn that in any way. I love my iphone as much as the next person but gone are the days of raw feeling and telling people things in person. It was just last night when the person right in front of me sent me a message that made my heart jump a little reading it, it made me emotional. It was beautiful and hard to say but that is what is missing. Staying up late waking up for a phone call on a house phone Sixteen Candles-style is what we are missing. Deep conversations with words you've painfully felt for a long time Pride and Prejudice-style is what we are missing. Melodramatic Twilight conversations and hangs from The Notebook are what relationships are missing. Too much Instagram and Facebook and emphasis on the perfect couple picture, capturing everything for the world instead of one-self is what has watered down everything that is love. Humans are what are responsible for feelings and romance.. they are after all, the masterminds that result in such grand stories. If they exist in minds, they exist in the world. Technology has done nothing but cut up and slowed down all raw feelings, through apps like Tinder and Grindr and dating websites, cheating websites, Facebook and Instagram in which we not only judge by appearance, but it puts everything else on hold. Have you ever met someone and not thought of them as attractive but after getting to know them, you develop a liking.. Where's the Tinder button for that? 

So I had a thought that maybe I shouldn't have to text every second, maybe I could hold off for longer. Perhaps not be as drastic as cutting off my phone and connecting a house land line and waiting up all hours, but something as simple as waiting to get a phone call so we could talk about the day would change a little something. Maybe I could get picked up and rush to the driver's door and smile instead of having nothing to talk about because we'd been texting all day. Maybe things would be more magical if we didn't try to make everything so fast and cold and quick. Maybe taking time during those moments which we normally try to speed up are what is secretly hidden, what that mystical movie power is secretly made up of. 

I don't know how long I can go without falling back to our advanced-to-the-world but retrograde-to-romance ways but I'm sure willing to try. 

Like Albert Einstein once said, "If it's not like the movies- that's how it should be."

Wait, no. That might have been Katy Perry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment