Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Glamour



I think that the biggest mistake a girl can make is purchasing something only because it's a trend. Is it for you? Will you look amazing in it? If you were photographed would you ever look back and say "damn I should've worn something different?" I like vintage pieces because I know that in the past, flattering cuts were on all items of clothing. I also like them because I know that nothing looked cheap, no matter how old. Nowadays girls parade with these rainbow colored outfits that make no sense. It's all too much. Everybody is over-thinking it. I think you should try many different styles and I think you should see what works for you and never let it go. I know my mom always told me "Fit over trend." Therefore I stopped liking what "looked pretty" and started looking for what looked pretty on me. 
A wise woman named Sophia Loren once said "A woman's dress should be like barbed wire: serve it's purpose without obstructing the view."

I'm not saying I'm a professional stylist but I do understand what makes women look beautiful. And ever so often I make a note in my mind, "Wow she should really wear that color more often." Or "Geez, that style of dress really flatters her." Everyone notices when women look beautiful but very few people notice why. This is a priceless tool my mom taught me and honestly the only thing that it can be called is glamour. 
When you feel like you look the prettiest and don't know exactly why, take note of it. Did you get a tan? Is there a color that makes you pop? Do you look best in tight tops but loose pants? Do you have awesome legs? Does that style of shoes make your legs look awesome-er?
Glamour isn't glitter and trends. Glamour is looking your very best and perplexing people as to why you look a certain way all the time. Glamour is turning down beautiful psychedelic outfits and instead opting for black tops that cut off at my collar bones. Glamour is cutting off my mermaid-length hair to layers that hit my chin to emphasize my facial features.

Glamour is understanding that you can't be a thin-nosed, pale, blue-eyed Megan Fox if you're a tan, big lipped, honey-haired Eva Longoria.. Or that you can't be a make-up less cool, grunge Kristen Stewart if you're  a glam doll, makeup junkie Lady Gaga. 
I can't remember all the times I tried to just follow what "was". Thin eyebrows, shiny lipgloss, straight hair was the norm growing up. 

Women have to learn to play up their attributes. I had to learn that voluminous hair was mine. I had to learn to grow out my eyebrows. I had to learn to play up my eyes and own my lips. My tan was on my side. 
You have all these features on you, don't ignore them. They are your femininity. They are your female superpowers. Use them. Use yours, no one else's.

"Glam culture is ultimately rooted in obsession, and those of us who are truly devoted and loyal to the lifestyle of glamour are masters of its history. Or, to put it more elegantly, we are librarians." -Lady Gaga


    

No comments:

Post a Comment