Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Valentine's Day for the Unconventional Girl


For me, Valentines day is so fun because I make of it what I want it to be- I always make it macabre or bloody.. I love the juxtaposition of romance and beautiful flowers and chocolates with stories of death and pain and darkness..
I love watching Tim Burton love stories such as Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare before Christmas, and the Corpse Bride. 

On February 14th, we're told to celebrate the bright side of love; the butterflies, romance, passion, sex, love, lust.. But nobody ever appreciates the dark little corners and I love making the most of it- making it scary almost.. I celebrate love stories that didn't end well but not in that Titanic or Notebook way.. In a Romeo and Juliet way.. Very violent and beautiful stories such as Greek myths, Shakespeare's tragedies and any other story that left a dark legacy. 

I've always loved love stories but had a weird, (uncharacteristic almost) penchant for the macabre.. I don't know where it started but it may have happened while other girls were twirling in their Cinderella gowns. When I was much more fascinated by Alice's trips or the dark monsters Hercules saved Megara from, or even the beautiful Gargoyles in the Hunchback of Notre Dame. 

If you want to make me, (or any unconventional girl) happy this Valentine's Day, take me to a midnight dinner at a graveyard, bring me a fake bloody bouquet of roses, burn me a horror movie soundtrack mixed cd, buy me a Tim Burton themed card, take me to an actual abandoned haunted house, plan a whimsical picnic in a darkly lit setting with old silverware.. With possibly.. a ouija-board? Did I go OVER-board? 

Anyways, the possibilities are endless! Happy Hauntings! Xoxo 





No comments:

Post a Comment