Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Short Is The New Long

I've had long hair since I was a little girl. My mother tells me stories about how when I was a newborn, my hair wouldn't grow so she would hot glue bows to the little patches of hair I did have. (My boyfriend now calls me Patches.) Eventually though, I grew hair.. And a lot of it. At age 6 I already had a beautiful, long, shiny mane that everyone adored and complimented my mom on. In elementary, all the little boys liked me, and I know now, it was because of the hair. Long hair gives the illusion of attraction, a pretty girl will always have long hair down to her waist.. The cultural standard is everywhere; rom com movies, action movies, hip-hop songs, country songs, pop songs. 
She would use this story against me later when I pleaded to cut my hair. I had just transferred to middle school when the Rihanna-bob took over. She'd tell me shorter hair was for older women and that long hair was girly. Still, left and right every girl looked so cool and trendy and I felt like I looked the same- long, boring, brown hair. 
Later on, in high school, when everyone's bobs had gone through that awful middle bob phase, the extension craze took over and luckily, I had no need. My real hair was every girl's envy; long, beautiful, brown hair. 
These past few years, although extensions are no longer as popular, long hair has been. The Kardashians are partly to blame. So are instagram famed models and MUA's. So I grew my already  long hair to my waist and naturally, I bask in the compliments of boys and girls alike- equally about my ombré hair color and my hair length. 
About a month ago, I took a photo with my boyfriend and I noticed my hair looked really shapeless. It was long and pretty itself but it did nothing to my face and I already knew it was burnt because of all the bleach, so I entertained the thought of cutting it. I carried the thought for a while and over time I started seeing pictures of beautiful muses Izabel Goulart, Alessandra Ambrosio, Adriana Lima, Candice Swanepoel, and even Kim K all with choppy layers surrounding their face. They are all beautiful, fashionable and modern and none of them had that long hippy hair. 





Speaking of hippies though, I was also scanning through several beachy/boho Instagram pages and their models had short to mid-length hair and I came to the realization that this was the new long. 
Even hippies had shorter hair.
Keep in mind that I went through my "Texas-sized, long hair" phase and although I like big hair, I don't like the ostentatious volume anymore. I found myself doing my hair in a more tousled, less curled, undone beach hair style. 

Long hair seemed outdated and going down my Instagram feed I realized that most girls had really long hair and it just seems over drawn. I've also always been one to shy away from the norm surrounding me, so I decided to cut it. My head feels lighter and healthier and it frames my face a lot better. I feel really feminine now with hair over and near my face and I needed something refreshing. Not to mention the breath of fresh air I just aided to my bleached ombré. 

Bye bye hippy hair

Here's to a new chapter in my eventful hair journal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment